About Me

My photo
My favorite memories have all centered around friends and family enjoying a meal together! It might have been a special holiday or a celebration, or it might have been dinner with friends at a great restaurant. I hope you will enjoy some of my favorite recipes and take time to fellowship with those seated at your table. You might make a memory to last forever!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Aunt Barbara's Peanut Butter Pie

Happy National Pie Day!  I never need a reason to make a pie, but today being National Pie Day, I had no choice!  I have many recipes, as I love to make pies for dessert; they are so much easier and faster than cakes!  The one that I chose to celebrate on National Pie Day is a very old recipe that has been handed down through the generations; to be exact...my husband's side of the family! I suppose this is probably his favorite dessert (he's not much of a cake man!).  He remembers his Aunt Barbara making this rich, creamy, peanut buttery pie when he was a child.  It is a true compliment for him to say "it's just like I remember"!  It might seem a little time consuming, but it is worth every minute!  I made my own crust, recipe below; but you can definitely use a store bought crust.  However, I  wouldn't take short cuts on the custard...so delicious!  I prefer to eat this pie after it cools a little, but still warm!  Of course, make sure you have a tall glass of milk to go with it!

Aunt Barbara's Peanut Butter Pie

1 baked pie crust
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter

basic custard:
2 cups milk
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 egg yokes (whites reserved for meringue)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbl. butter

meringue:
3 egg whites (room temperature)
1/4 tsp. cream of tarter
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar

Combine powdered sugar and peanut butter in medium sized bowl.  Stir, with a fork, until crumbly.  Set aside.

Make custard.  Combine flour and sugar in medium saucepan; stir.  Slowly add milk, while stirring, over medium heat.  Cook until bubbly and beginning to thicken.  Slightly whisk egg yokes; temper by stirring a small amount of hot mixture into the yokes; slowly stir into hot milk mixture.  Add vanilla.  Cook until thickened (pudding consistency); remove from heat and stir in butter.  Stir until smooth and creamy.  Cool slightly.

While custard cools, make meringue.  Beat egg whites in a large bowl at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy; sprinkle cream of tarter, vanilla and salt over egg whites; continue beating until soft peaks form.  Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.  Spread over filling to edges of crust, covering filling.

Place all but 1/2 cup peanut butter crumbles in bottom of cooled crust.  Pour custard over all.  Top with meringue; sprinkle with remaining crumbles. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven until slightly brown.











No comments:

Post a Comment