About Me

My photo
My favorite memories have all centered around friends and family enjoying a meal together! It might have been a special holiday or a celebration, or it might have been dinner with friends at a great restaurant. I hope you will enjoy some of my favorite recipes and take time to fellowship with those seated at your table. You might make a memory to last forever!

Monday, November 14, 2011

On To The Side Dishes!

For as long as I can remember, my Mamaw fixed this congealed salad for every holiday!  When she became ill, the recipe was passed down to me!  For years, I have been in charge of desserts; even though this dish has the word "salad" in the name, it qualifies for dessert!  It is so creamy and choc full of crunchy tidbits...apples, pineapple, pecans and celery!  Mamaw's Salad makes a nice addition to breakfast, lunch or dinner; or for me, one more spoonful for a midnight snack!  I hope you will try this delicious recipe and other special recipes that were passed to you from your Grandmother!

Mamaw's Salad

1 Lg. can crushed pineapple
2/3 cup sugar
1 box Lemon Jello
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup chopped apples
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped pecans
1 Lg. Cool Whip

Combine pineapple with juice and sugar in medium sauce pan; bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Stir in cream cheese and lemon Jello; remove from heat and cool completely.  (See picture below of adding the cream cheese; it may appear curdled, but keep stirring!)

In a large bowl, combine cream cheese mixture, apples, celery and pecans. Fold in Cool Whip til smooth. Chill overnight.





No comments:

Post a Comment